Murrell Library and Commons at Missouri Valley College builds intellectual and creative capacity by providing information, services, and programming that engage, encourage, and enable faculty, staff, students, and the community to question, explore, and critically evaluate information.
Murrell Library and Commons is a hub for student learning and scholarship, a place to study, and a destination for programs. As a campus resource, the Library provides individualized services, print and online materials, and study space for the College community. The library consists of two locations; most materials are found in the George Murrell Memorial Library, while the Library Commons has education materials, K-12 textbooks, and juvenile and young adult literature.
Murrell Library Hours:
Monday - Thursday: 7:30 am - 11:00 pm
Friday: 7:30 am - 4:00 pm
Sunday: 1:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Library Commons Hours:
Monday - Friday: 7:30 am - 4:00 pm
- Avalon (online catalog) - Records for books, journals, videos, eBooks, eJournals, and other library materials owned by MVC. Avalon also includes library holdings for eight other academic libraries.
- eJournal Portal - Find and link to the full text of Electronic Journals and eBooks.
- Library Databases - With over 100 research databases, many of them containing full text, you should be able to find what you need. Databases are liked from the library webpage. Most are available off campus using your MVC login.
- Books and eBooks - The library has a wide variety of books, both electronic and in print. Almost 33,000 eBooks are available, including: EBSCO eBooks, Bloom’s Literature, and Credo Reference. The library also contains nearly 80,000 books in print on a wide variety of topics.
- Journals and eJournals - With 216 print subscriptions, and online access to 65,000 eJournals, the library is sure be able to help you find what you need.
Missouri Valley College faculty, staff, and students may borrow materials not owned by MVC through Interlibrary Loan. Request forms are automatically populated from databases, and a blank form is available on the library’s website.
Missouri Valley is a member of the Mobius consortium, which has members in five states. You may request books from any library within the Mobius system. In addition, you can borrow books using Prospector, the catalog of the Colorado Association of Research Libraries. If neither Mobius nor Prospector have the books or articles you want, we will find and borrow them from other libraries for you.
iPads and Tablet Check Out
Students, staff and faculty with a library account in good standing may borrow iPads, Kindles and Kindle Fires. iPads will be loaned for 7 days with 2 in-person renewals. Kindles and Kindle Fires are available for 4 weeks. Renewals must be done in person by library faculty or staff. A fine of $10.00 per day will be charged to overdue tablets.
Murrell Library houses materials that have been placed on reserve by the professors for various classes. While the library does not generally collect textbooks, we have a selection of textbooks used in first-year core classes purchased through partnerships with the Office of Academic Affairs and the Staff Association. Reserve materials circulate for 2 hours, and must be used in the building.
Books may be borrowed for 4 weeks. DVDs, journal back issues, and tablets circulate for 1 week. Items on reserve check out for 2 hours, and may be used in the building only. Overdue fines are 25₵ per day for each overdue item, and $10.00 per day for electronic devices.